Academic researchers come from many disciplines, embrace a variety of theoretical frameworks and utilize different methodologies. Yet, all research/scholarship embodies one principle in common: it comprises a search for knowledge. Knowledge creation is not the product of technical skills alone; it requires critical thinking, 沟通, 以及道德决策. ONE体育网站 is committed to educating active leaders in the creation of new knowledge.
尽管方法和形式不同, every researcher must strive for accuracy and reliability in their record, which includes disciplinary understanding of the rules by which new knowledge is constructed. This set of rules is generally referred to as 负责任的研究行为 (RCR). RCR has been redefined more broadly in recent years and federally funded research (and, 在一般情况下, all research) must comply with regulations related to nine areas including: plagiarism, 人类被试, 脊椎动物, 科研不端行为, 还有经济利益冲突. The 2007 America COMPETES Act (America Creating Opportunities to Meaningfully Promote Excellence in Technology, Education and Science) requires that institutions applying for federal funding have a plan for appropriate training and oversight in the responsible and ethical conduct of research. This training must be provided to under研究生, 研究生, 工作人员, and faculty participating in the proposed research. This certification is required for proposals submitted on or after January 4, 2010.
This policy of ONE体育网站 seeks to ensure compliance with Section 7009 of the America COMPETES Act of 2007. 进一步, training in responsible conduct of research is intended to encourage best practices in the conduct of all research and scientific investigations and to foster an ability to recognize an ethical choice and make principled decisions.
ONE体育网站 is committed to supporting responsible and ethical conduct of research and scholarship among its faculty, 教职员及学生. 负责任的研究行为 fosters a climate of intellectual honesty and a commitment to ethical responsibilities by academia. All members of the College community share responsibility for developing and maintaining standards to assure ethical conduct of research and the detection of violations of these standards. 所有的标准必须符合法律规定, 监管, contractual and ethical requirements established by the College, 监管机构, funding sponsors and their professional guilds. 鉴于ONE体育作为一所大学的使命, these responsibilities extend to the education of our students. All students engaged in independent research programs and credits must complete RCR education as part of their professional development.
学生: Different types of scholarship use different approaches and need different forms of RCR education. 像这样, RCR education for student researchers should be consistent with the standards for each discipline or division (e.g. humanities, fine arts, sciences, social sciences). The RCR education requirement for students must include, 至少, 1)数据采集, 管理, 分享, and ownership including issues of fabrication, 伪造, and plagiarism; and 2) issues of 科研不端行为 relevant within the discipline such as the following:
The RCR education requirement for students must be equivalent to at least one standard class period and may be accomplished by one of the following mechanisms:
- Complete the appropriate online modules through one of the designated training sites
- 注册成为奥斯汀学院的新用户. Answer the questions about your involvement in research and complete the “Basic RCR Course.”
- Completing an in-person RCR workshop offered by CREATE
- Please see the Community of Scholars schedule each semester
- 完成一门课程, which includes instruction in RCR topics relevant for the discipline of the research project. This could be a traditional research methods course, courses which include research experiences as part of the course, 等. (e.g. 201, PSCI 270, 尖刺外壳270, SOC 270, BIOL 472) Note: Additional courses may be approved by the Director of CREATE or the committee.
- Documented discussions with the PI individually or in groups. 此外, departments/programs may choose to develop and offer additional training sessions or modules of particular relevance to their disciplines.
- RCR case studies at the Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Science
- RCR case studies/courses at Columbia University
- NIH ORI的 实验室
- NIH ORI Introduction to the 负责任的研究行为
- On Being a Scientist: A Guide to Responsible Conduct in Research (2009)
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative
- National Center for Professional and Research Ethics, Ethics CORE